Manipulating ranges with python...

I'm trying to write a simple function in python to display the maximum value
in a gnumeric range.  I've looked through the 'gnumeric-python.txt' doc and
have been able to write simple functions that take scalar values or strings
with no problem.  For the life of me, though, I can't figure out how to pass
a python function a gnumeric range.  I've looked at gnumeric_defs.py but
don't see how the CellRange or CellRef classes help.  Does anybody have any
sample python code that accepts a gnumeric range as input and returns some
value?

Thanks for any help....

Steve Sartorius