what does "/dev/dsp: Permission denied" mean?

Hi all,

When I start up gnumeric, before the window pops up, I get the
error message

/dev/dsp: Permission denied

It doesn't seem to affect anything, but I'd like to figure out
what this means.

Anybody know?

thanks!

--
Adam Schuetze, Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical Engineering Student, University of Victoria