From: Morten Welinder [mailto:terra diku dk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 6:38 PM
To: nj lee plumtree co nz
Cc: gnumeric-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Rounding??

   Certainly but when you provide a mapping from one space (binary) to the
   display space (decimal) is important that the display understands its
   (numeric) context.

Users expect it, but it is not possible.

An accountant will want "0.365" rounded to "0.36".  A mathematician
will want "0.37".  Someone is not going to like the result.  The
mathematician also wants "=sin(pi/4)-cos(pi/4)" to yield zero.  Don't
count on it.

Right now we are consistent in the best-approximation sense[*], I
hope.  And no-one is happy, because -- as you say -- people generally
do not think in binary.

See the 0.62 release notes in your NEWS file for more information.

Morten

[*] The value of every subexpression is "rounded" to nearest valid
    binary representable value.