Re: A newbie who just would like to know....

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 06:57:27PM -0700, Rory D. Hudson wrote:
Hello there everybody.....

Well I am really happy with Gnumeric, it is a great product.  However, I
would really like to be able to save over existing files as XL95 format,
without having to rename them or without going through a process that is
basically an import/export process.  Is this possible with the new
version of Gnumeric? And if so can somebody outline for me exactly how
to do it without breaking the rest of my system?  Thanks for all of the
help and keep on rolling with Gnumeric.

Yes as of version 0.65 this is possible.  If you define the
environment variable
    GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERWRITE
the safety check that disables overwriting existing xls files will
be disabled, and you will be able to handle the files smoothly.

Hope that helps
    Jody