Re: A newbie who just would like to know....

   Well I am really happy with Gnumeric, it is a great product.  However, I
   would really like to be able to save over existing files as XL95 format,
   without having to rename them or without going through a process that is
   basically an import/export process.  Is this possible with the new
   version of Gnumeric?

Yes, it is possible, but we do not guarantee that the generated xl
files make sense or can be read again.  *That's* why you cannot
save over an existing file.  You can easily patch the source if
you wish.

(Or set a semi-secret environment variable.)

Morten