Re: Saving/Loading SheetObjectBonobos

On 23 Jul 2001 19:22:58 -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:

Michael prototyped this in bonobo-io as you noticed.  However, I
have not rushed to implement it within Gnumeric's primary xml format
in the hope that a more generic solution would be developed.  Mike
Kestner's recent work on compound document support sounds like what
we're looking for.  I'm hoping to read it shortly.

Can't imagine what might have gotten in your way of reading it yet.  :-)
Congratulations on your little hacker!

I had originally attempted to spell out persistence a bit more
definitively in the whitepaper, but Michael and I agreed that this would
probably degrade into another flamefest and might have stood in the way
of accomplishing the interface cleans that needed to be completed this
month.

So, don't expect to find any revelations on persistence in my effort.  I
basically specified that a cdoc component should expose either
PersistStorage or PersistStream but didn't get into the quagmire that is
xml vs efs vs tar.gz vs whatever.someone.dreams.up.next.

I think I'm personally leaning toward an efs like solution, but I know
there are some issues to be worked there.  This is probably a discussion
to occur among the gnome-office app maintainers.  Perhaps we can gather
up a representative for each of the apps and get a decision made.  Doing
this on a list is likely to produce a lot of flamage and no result.

Mike