From: Bill Manville (Bill-Manville msn com)
Subject: Re: negative time?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming
Date: 2000/01/13

In article <387DC372 3DAFFB77 alcatel de>, Dusan Malenka wrote:
I need to make some operations with time, but when result is
negative in cell value "########" appears . Is it  possible to set cell
format
to display negative time (for example:   "-10:25").

Excel does not normally recognise the concept of negative time.

If you set Tools / Options / Calculation / 1904 date format
you can get negative time.  However, as others have pointed out in
another thread, there are problems if you also have dates in the
workbook
that you reference from or copy to a workbook using the usual 1900
format.

The alternative is to display the time as a text string (noting that you
will be unable to do arithmetic on it).  If you current formula is
=A1-B1 change it to
=IF(A1>=B1),"-","")&TEXT(IF(A1>=B1,A1-B1,B1-A1),"[h]:mm")

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply to newsgroup

Cheers,

Vegard

--
Vegard Bakke       | My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it
54 Craigleith St   | wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

The trouble with the global village are all the global village idiots.
                                                         Paul Ginsparg
:wq