Re: gnumeric: Note to translators

Den 12 Feb 2001 14:26:49 +0000, skrev Morten Welinder:

This, unfortunately, is *not* a solution.  Comments, however helpful, do
not solve the fundamental problem that there are strings that need two
different translations depending on context.  The current gettext just
cannot handle this and the translator is left to flip a coin.  Thus
our translations suck.

I really think that compiling the app/library in question is needed.
There's no way to determine all
possible contices(?) without actually looking at what's on screen. I
know many people do their
work without even looking at the source, and even in Windows and other
stuff, and I do see that
this is the way it has to be for some of us. On the other hand I don't
think it's right to go out of
our way to accomodate this in the source. The best "solution" to this
problem would be for more
companies to hire full-time i18n/l10n people :-)

Note that I really appreciate that many people don't have the time,
resources etc to do this
work 100% and I think everyone is doing a great job. I just hope that
companies see the value
of good translations in the future and that we'll reach critical mass
for this to happen soon

Cheers and keep up the great work
Kjartan Maraas