Q: a way to enable save/over?

Hi.  I'm loving using gnumeric, and have found only one snag: the
disabling of "save over" for excel-format files.

Q: is there something I can put in a dot-file to permit me to save-over
into existing files?  I ask because I need the security of having backups
of my work.  Right now I have to keep going over to a shell window, 'mv'
the file, and then go back and click on gnumeric/save.  Sure, that's not
too difficult, but there is a good chance of messing up.

NOTE: this is not meant as a "flame", by any means.  I went on the
archives, looking for messages about this topic, and found just one
thread.  It was a bit old, so I'm wondering whether things have
changed.  Gnumeric is a great thing, and it's probably at the stage where
user comments may be a valuable resource.  (I *know* I can recompile it,
with the feature turned off, of course.)

--
Dan E. Kelley                                     phone:(902)494-1694
Oceanography Department, Dalhousie University       fax:(902)494-2885