Format of numeric data as text fails in Gnumeric 0.58.

Some fields containing only numerals need to be preserved as
text so that leading zeros aren't lost, e.g., ZIP codes and Part
numbers.

Under Gnumeric 0.57 I could import a CSV file and use the menu
Format>Cells>Number>Text to do this, however it no longer works in
Gnumeric 0.58 (the latest version for which I've found a RH6.2 binary).

In fact, after setting the format of a column to Text, I can't even enter
numerics as text from the keyboard unless I prefix each entry
with a (').

Has this been corrected in Gnumeric 0.60?

Here's a test file:
" Name"," Value"
"a","001"
"b","03"