after an error, I can't edit

Package: gnumeric
Version: 0.59

If I enter a formula in a cell and the formula has a syntax error,
then gnumeric puts in the cell the message "Syntax error".  But there
is no way to edit the formula to correct the error.  Instead I have to
retype the entire formula, even the parts that were correct.  For
example, if I enter "=1+" it says "Syntax error".  Maybe I meant to say
"=1+2".  If I want to correct my error, I would prefer to merely
type in only the 2.  I should not have to retype "=1+".  Instead,
gnumeric should remember that and let me edit it.  Of course, in this
example, it is not much retyping, but for long formulas which are
difficult to enter it might take several attempts to get it right, and
having to retype makes it a much harder problem.

I am using Red Hat Linux 7.0