Re: gnote-3.14.0 gets stuck deleting (Aurimas Cernius)

Hello Aurimas,

I am getting used to storing my daily notes in gnote, and am quite liking it. I must thank you and your people for all the effort to create a good application like this.

There is a problem with the user-interface of gnote which I would like to mention, because fixing it might encourage many more people like me to start using gnote as the standard note-taking application.

gnote notebook is essentially is a top-level container (container because it holds the notes; top-level because - as far as I can see - there is no concept of notebook-within-notebook). Notebook right-click->New should therefore logically map to new note within the context notebook. However, this action creates a new notebook under All.

The New button at the top-left is also problematic. Given the fact that it is located right above the notebook panel, it should create a new notebook. It however creates a new note within the current notebook. The problem could be solved by replacing the New button with 2 buttons : New Notebook just above the notebook panel, and New Note just above the notes panel. One might be tempted to get rid of the New button entirely, since the application menu of gnote has both New Note and New Notebook, but then this leaves the user as well as the application highly dependent on the windowing system for correctly displaying the application menu.

I do not know whether any of this makes sense, but - if it does - perhaps everyone could benefit. Thanks again.

Regards,

Manish Jain
+91-98995-82709