Re: Edit notes with external applications

Hey there,

On 11-03-26 12:16 PM, Michael Florian Schönitzer wrote:
>> It can be done using Gnote D-Bus API.
>> There's a CLI tool Scout, that works that way.

Indeed, it's my aim to be able to edit notes with scout, either via an
editor (in the same manner that git does it for commit messages and
such), or by feeding the contents via standard input or with a file so
that one could modify notes in a script (or maybe have a note contain
the output of a command by piping things to scout).

> Thanks.
> Already thought that the solution would be dbus, but I never have done
> anything with.

>From what I could see the task is fairly simple: Just find the URI of
the note you want to modify, and then call SetNoteContents(uri,
contents) on the dbus interface. I just didn't get to implementation
details, yet (e.g. the command-line interface and glueing the possible
input methods).

> Just hacked a bit with dbus, but didn't got far – my programming skills
> are not such good. Scout is interesting but still don't hav any
> edit-feature. I'll probably have to wait for the Scout-programmers to
> implement it.

right, I've been mostly working on tag editing and such, lately. Until
now, I've been the only one working on scout's code (although, I did
have some interesting contributions like the fedora packages). I was
thinking of implementing content editing after that, but I've been too
busy with work to make any advancement in the last couple of months :\

If some people send me electronic kicks in the butt to work on note
editing, it'll help me gather my courage and actually do it now ;)

If you'd like to help me out, any kind of help would be appreciated:
guiding the interface design, testing the application, running unit
tests on your system, writing code or even simply giving some insights
or ideas of what and how things should be made.

What are you interested in getting faster, piping a command's output to
scout, supplying a file as the note's contents or modifying a note with
your preferred text editor?
I guess the text editor program thing would have to come after
file-based input since the way I was thinking of implementing this was
to have scout create a file which the text editor would have to modify,
and when the editor would exit, scout would compare the file's modify
time (or maybe a hash of its contents?) and take action if the file was
modified.

--
Gabriel Filion