[gnomemm] RE: gnome-vfsmm/gtkmmproc

> From: Bryan Forbes [mailto:mxpxfifws yahoo com]
> Hey Murray,
>     I'm not sure if this should be on the list or not,

Everything should be on the list. Don't depend on me personally.

> so you
> can forward it on if you
> feel it should.  I'm trying to wrap GnomeVFSMimeApplication
> and I'm coming upon some
> problems.  Mostly it's me not knowing what kind of class each
> C class is and what macro
> it needs to be wrapped with.  Right now, I'm using:
>
> _CLASS_OPAQUE_COPYABLE(MimeApplication, GnomeVFSMimeApplication, NONE,
> gnome_vfs_mime_application_copy, gnome_vfs_mime_application_free)
>
> but I'm not sure if that's completely right.  Also, since
> this C class isn't reference
> counted (heh, I know what that means :), I don't need to use
> Glib::RefPtr<> for it, do I?

It's not always completely clear, but I think we have tried to document
these macros in gtkmm/docs/internal/

It looks OK. It looks like the right thing to use. I will try to review all
your changes eventually anyway.

>     Another thing: how do you know when it's easier to use
> gtkmmproc or when it's easier
> to just code it up yourself?  Is there a clear line?  Or do
> you just go for it with
> gtkmmproc and if that doesn't work you say screw it and code
> it up yourself?

Pretty much. In principal, try to find similar things in existing
gtkmm/gnomemm wrappers if you don't know what to do. Document what you
discover if it isn't already documented.

Thanks. gnome-vfsmm is going to be popular, I think.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com