[gnomemm] Still having problems with the Canvas

Hi,

I still hav some problems with the Canvas. I am using gtkmm 2 and
gnomemm 2 and dont get any further with my drawing routine. I am
programming (well Im trying to) a little network game. I have a client
which listens to a socket within a thread, were it gets new information
of the gamefield. If it got a new message it calls a update method on
the canvas. My problem is, I dont get it correctly updated. I noticed
the three signal methods(request_update_vfunc(), on_draw_background(..),
on_render_background(..) ) and overridden the on_draw_background method.
There Im adding new Pixbufs to the canvas. I hoped to invoke the update
with the request_redraw() method, but it doesnt work that good, becausse
not everything is updated.
So my question is where should I do the adding of new Pixbufs and how do
I invoke an immediate update of the changes to the canvas(within an
other thread)?

I know this is a newbie question, but Im stuck for some days now.

Thanks

Klaus Buss