Re: [gnomemm] binary-incompatible changes to gnomemm 1?

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 23:54, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> app-helper.h's 'fill' methods don't return the new UI::Array with the
> 'widget' fields filled in. This would be useful, in my case, to disable
> certain menu items:
>
>     Gnome::UI::Array<Gnome::UI::Info> p =
>         Gnome::UI::fill (*form_popup_menu, popup_menu_list,
>                          *(form_popup_menu->get_accel_group ()));
>
>     if (something)
>         p[3].get_widget ()->set_sensitive (false);
>
> However, this requires a change in the return type from void of the two
> fill() methods in app-helper.h, which, I guess, would break binary
> compatibility (unless the return type is not mangled into the function
> name). Of course, I'd also be interested in alternative solutions to the
> problem above.
>
> So, what can I do? (apart from forking gnomemm1).

If it's absolutely necessary, you _could_ add a method. Also, please fix
libgnomeuimm 2, which is still API unstable. But use it in an example,
or add an example, to prove that it works.

>  Maybe we can hope that
> no existing gnomemm1 application uses fill() so we can get away with it?

It's the first I've heard of any problem.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net