Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Security check failed

I am a newbie to VOIP on Linux, and find it very confusing attempting to
set up Ekiga as my first Linux VOIP application. I have successfully
used VOIP on that other operating system for some time, and without any
drama.

Iason, as you suggest, I attempted to register with ekiga.net but that
failed. I am able to register with eugw.ast.diamondcard.us which is the
default entry automatically put there when setting up the account.

I am not getting the "Security check failed" message any more. (However
see below - I am getting that message calling a local number).

When I call 500 ekiga net, I get a repeated long tone.

I attempted to call a real phone number of the form: sip:0061999999999
where the 9's are replaced with the local number, the 61 is the country
code, and 00 the access code.

However this terminates immediately with the message "User not found". I
take a look at the drop down box and "@ekiga.net" has automatically been
added!!!??? And sip:0061999999999 ekiga net also immediately terminates
in "User not found".

I am using the CVS version of Ekiga.

I've done some more checking, and discovered on the diamondcard.us site
that one should add @usgw.ast.diamondcard.us to the end of phone
numbers!?

The Ekiga help page says "you can simply use sip:003210444555 to call a
real phone number". There is no mention of an "@..." suffix! Do I need
one?

Anyhow, when I call sip:0061999999999 usgw ast diamondcard us whith the
9's replaced with the local number, I get the message "Security check
failed".

There seems to be some overlap in the meanings and uses of
username/account and password/pin. Could you please clarify the
difference between username and account, and when to use each; and
please clarify the difference between password and pin, and when to use
each.

In short, perhaps a clear step by step detail of how to set up my
account would not go astray.

For the sake of clarity of communication: Simply put, what I am
attempting to do is this: I have successfully setup a free Ekiga
account, and tested by calling the sip:500 ekiga net account. All fine
so far. I attempted to set up an account with Engin, but without
success. So I figure I'll use the Ekiga PC-to-Phone Account (thinking
that should be well tested and smooth sailing). I use the link provided
in Ekiga under the Tools menu. I set up the account. I receive an
emailed receipt for payment. I also receive a signup thank you message
containing login name, account id, instructions to get pin, and
instructions to reply. I reply to message. I receive a confirmation
message saying payment for $10.00 has been verified and approved. I
enter the account and password in the PC-to-Phone settings. There is a
new account in the account list, however the registration failed. So I
enter pin where password is asked for! It registers. However I am not
able to do anything with it. (See above).

Please help. I'm confused.