Daniel Huhardeaux a écrit :
powergen xtra co nz wrote:
Thanks,

That has cleared things up ...

Bernard

Judging from :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711
and from http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711 (if you can read French),
g.711 is quite obsolete now. But it is still used for compatibility purposes.
Obsolete? The only codec which is always working is this one! Don't know who wrote the french version, but I can't agree on what is written in the non technical part, except that it takes bandwidth.

Well it depends on what we call obsolescence.
That I understood is that g.711 is old and technically behind. But since it has been widely used, it is today the only codec which is always working.