RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] Cannot compile Opal

Although we had this discussion last week (and the week before, and the
month before, and last year ...)

> I'm running a PC with 2GHz CPU and 256M RAM, kernel 2.6.16.7,

1.8 GHz and 512MB would have been much faster, and probably cheaper. I
compile opal every now and then on a Duron 700 with 512MB + 1GB Swap, and
also it takes some time, it is no problem at all.

> Xorg 6.8.1.
> I configured Opal:
> # ./configure --prefix=/usr
> Then ran make, compiling goes okay until it tries to compile
> transport.cxx.
> Then CPU usage goes way up and I wait and wait -- then got an
> out-of-memory
> message. It seems to be "allocing" huge amounts of ram, and I have a
> 400M swap partition loaded. Well my PC has another swap
> partition, so I
> loaded that too, giving me effectively about 800M free ram.
> This time, it gets to transport.cxx and CPU usage goes way up, about
> 700M of ram gets used up, and I wait and wait and wait ...after about
> half an hour I gave up.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion about this?

Buy more ram.

With 256MB, after the system has started there is not much memory left to do
real work. If you are lucky, there is 100MB of RAM left for gcc, and with
almost 1GB needed your computer is busy with swapping in and out all the
time.

You may try compiling from runlevel 3, with no X and no desktop started.
This will give you some additional free RAM, but I repeat:

Buy more ram!

Lurchi