Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Conference Calls?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:56:32AM +0100, Geoff Jankowski wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was surprised to learn that 501 is a conference hall.  I have looked
> over ekiga.org and can find no detail of it there.  However if there is
> information about it online, could you please direct me to it?

Damien mentioned them in an email.... I'll add them to the wiki when I
get a chance:
	http://wiki.ekiga.org

They are infact aliases to free conference servers elsewhere on the net
(The E164 public Voice Conference Rooms I believe)

> The only think missing in ekiga (not a complaint, just a comment) is the
> ability to manage a conference call to multiple users with multiple
> video outputs.  Is there any intention to build this into future
> versions?

How would you go about managing this????? I recall some mention on a
podcast that someone was using a website combined with a conference
server where participents 'requested' to talk and the 'host' could
select who 'had the mic'. I guess Video could just follow the mic.

I think that it is sensible to build any functionality into the
conference server rather than the VoIP client.

> In the meantime, the conference facility is an option that works well
> although security is an issue as it is impossible to tell who is in the
> call when it is accessed and anyone can join in without the existing
> participants knowing.
>
> I would like to make sure I use the facility properly so wondered if
> there are any guidelines that have to be followed.  For example,
>
> What restrictions are there on using the conference call rooms?
> is 501 for any ekiga user to enter and join in to?  What is it generally
> used for?

Gossip :-)

> If I want to use one for a confidential discussion, I can enter room
> xxxx but is there a way I can ensure only the people I want in the
> conference get access?

No - Use a real (paid for?) conference server or set up your own.

Note at present pretty much all VoIP calls are 'wide open' in terms of
security - unless your are using SRTP or Phil Zimmerman's zphone
(encrypting proxy widget).

<plug>
Excellent VoIP security podcast at http://www.blueboxpodcast.com
</plug>

> Can the facility be set so that participants are made aware of someone
> joining?
> How can I tell what room numbers are currently being used so I can
> select on that is not?

Not possible. They are public access.

> Again, if these questions are answered somewhere I cannot find them,
> please let me know to save you time responding here.

A few of us are trying to compile useful information in the Wiki. If you
want to assist ask Damien for a login.

Cheers,
Simon.