Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Nat traversal

On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:19, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le dimanche 22 janvier 2006 à 10:19 -0500, Allan a écrit :

> > In view of all of the above, I don't understand your last comment about
> > symmetric NAT.  It seems to me that the configuration druid and the
> > manual setting of the NTM do not coincide i.e. that the druid is giving
> > the wrong response leading me to believe that Ekiga will not work whereas
> > in fact it seems to.
>
> I don't believe so.

After checking the general history, I must confess that I drew the wrong
conclusion.  Both report symmetric NAT.   Which leads to my next question.
Why would Ekiga accept STUN as an appropriate NTM if, as you say,  Ekiga will
not work behind a symmetric NAT?

> > I am equally puzzled by a statement you made in response to another
> > person. Here is your statement:
> >
> > "One unique STUN server is enough for all accounts. Using several STUN
> > servers doesn't really make sense.
> >
> > You can use several accounts, that works."
> >
> > My experience shows that to receive calls from FWD I must use their STUN
> > server.  Could you please clarify.
>
> That's technically impossible. A STUN server is a STUN server, it
> doesn't depend on the destination that you will call, it will just open
> holes in your NAT router.

I'll really show my ignorance here but here goes anyway.  Your statement
implies that STUN works when I'm placing not receiving a call.  I thought
that I read somewhere that as long as either sender or receiver used a STUN
server traffic would get through.  Could it be that I have to use the FWD
STUN server because FWD does not allow calling to other networks except ones
it has agreements with?

> > By the way, FWD does not allow calling to other accounts i.e. an FWD user
> > cannot call me at my ekiga.net address UNLESS FWD has entered into an
> > agreement with the other group.  Would you consider approaching FWD to
> > enter such an agreement.  Might help in spreading the popularity of
> > Ekiga.
>
> Yes, I will do it once 2.00 has been released.

Thank you.

By the way, is it anticipated that the Windows version will be released at the
same time.  That might resolve the difficulties I'm having getting things
working between Windows and Linux.  My children (and grand-children) live 500
km away.  They are typical Windows users and it's very difficult trying to
resolve problems   without a common application.

Allan