Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Nat traversal

On Saturday 21 January 2006 09:59, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Having done all that, the configuration druid still reports that I'm
> > behind a
> > symmetric firewall.  Is that expected?  Not according to the information
> > on the ekiga site.  What exactly does that mean for being able to receive
> > incoming calls?
>
> You need to make sure the ports are really forwarded.
> Does it report "Symmetric NAT" or "Symmetric Firewall" ?
> They are different things.
>
> > Bottom line.  Can I expect ekiga to work or not on my system despite the
> > symmetric NAT response from the druid?
>
> If it is symmetric NAT, no. If it is "symmetric firewall", then most
> probably your local machine has a firewall dropping packets.

Damien,

I'm more confused than ever.  As I said in an earlier message FreeWorldDialup
(FWD) provides a callme feature on its website which allows me to place a
call from FWD to my home machine.  My setup is as follows: I am behind a
wireless modem/router/firewall where I have configured the firewall to
forward the recommended ports to my machine's local address.  I fired up the
druid which reported that I am behind a symmetric NAT.

Test 1.  I edited my NAT Traversal Method (NTM) setting and set it to none.
FWD successfully placed a call to my machine.

Test 2.  I set the NTM to Stun.  Ekiga tested my NAT and accepted STUN as an
appropriate method.  FWD placed a call to my machine which was answered but
with no audio.  When I changed the stun server to FWD's the call was
successfully completed.

Test 3. I set the NTZM to IP translation.  Once again FWD successfully placed
the call.

In view of all of the above, I don't understand your last comment about
symmetric NAT.  It seems to me that the configuration druid and the manual
setting of the NTM do not coincide i.e. that the druid is giving the wrong
response leading me to believe that Ekiga will not work whereas in fact it
seems to.

I am equally puzzled by a statement you made in response to another person.
Here is your statement:

"One unique STUN server is enough for all accounts. Using several STUN servers
doesn't really make sense.

You can use several accounts, that works."

My experience shows that to receive calls from FWD I must use their STUN
server.  Could you please clarify.

By the way, FWD does not allow calling to other accounts i.e. an FWD user
cannot call me at my ekiga.net address UNLESS FWD has entered into an
agreement with the other group.  Would you consider approaching FWD to enter
such an agreement.  Might help in spreading the popularity of Ekiga.

Allan