Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Ekiga, no sound

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:35:11 +0000
"Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos gmail com> wrote:

> > "experimental" --disable-gnome version?
> >

> Yep... thanks... gentoo ebuild... but still my fault for using testing
> ebuild for a testing software. :)

configure --help says:
  --disable-gnome        Remove GNOME support. Don't do this, it
removes essential features

Somehow the author of this ebuild thinks it's sane to enable an
experimental and not recommended option (--disable-gnome) when the USE
flag for GNOME is set to no.

GNOME support doesn't neccesarily mean you need a full featured, full
colored, sparcling GNOME installed. It's primary for the GConf
configuration database, the libgnomeui (UI library) and evolution
support (evolution data server). At the moment (it will improve in
future), --disable-gnome is primarily used for the WIN32 build. It's
still experimental, instable and buggy in some parts.

That's why IMHO this configure option should not correspond to the USE
flag for GNOME.

But I don't use Gentoo, so ignore this, it's just my opinion ;-)

Regards,
Jan

--
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
- J. B. Postel, master of the net.