Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ekiga doesnt play well with openwengo

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:17:03 -0600
Aaron VanDevender <sig netdot net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 13:50 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > OpenWengo is supporting only H.263 for now. H.263 is patented, so we do
> > not support it, and are supporting H.261 instead.
> >
> > So having no video is normal as we do not have common codecs.
>
> Would it be possible to factor out the video codecs as plugins, so
> someone else could implement plugins for H.263 (and H.264) and host them
> separately. This model has worked well for gstreamer. In fact, is there
> a reason why we don't just use gstreamer as the video plugin framework?
> We could then leverage all sorts of video codecs, even ones not normally
> used for video conferencing, like ogg/theora.

Work is pending on video codec plugins. Hopefully we will be able to
make an announcment soon.

As for using gstreamer, there are two problems:

  - Gstreamer is LGPL. This would have to be resolved with the MPL used
by the OpenH323 and PWLIB libraries that will implement the plugins

  - Implementing the codecs is only half the problem. Implementing the
RTP transport and capability definitions for each codec is non trivial.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 VoIP products                             http://www.sunkom.com.au