Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Compiling opal - memory errors

Hi,

> Isn't that something of a design flaw requiring 768 MB of memory for
> one process? Seems like they could make it easier to compile.

Well, let me tell you my thoughts, and conclusion.

In 1999, when I joined openh323, you could compile the openh323 library on
a box with 64 meg of ram, celeron 400 computer.

and then gcc changed the way it does things, and we had version 2.96.2
   (version number is about there, cannot remember exactly)
and the compile process demanded 256 meg of ram,
 and the final library size jumped by a factor of 4.

And then the openh323 list was (literally) flooded with messages about,
 "why is it so big",
 "what can be done to make it smaller"
 "why does it not compile"

I note that msvc creates executables much much smaller, with less ram
required.

So, yes, I tend to agree with you. There is a design flaw. In my view, the
flaw is in GCC.

Derek.