Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Windows Messenger cannot log in to ekiga.net SIP service

El dom, 09-04-2006 a las 09:48 +0200, Julien PUYDT escribió:
> > We've tried various changes in configuration on the WM client
> > end--enabling UPnP on the router, disabling local WIndows firewall,
> > disabling Norton Internet Worm protection, connecting directly to
> the
> > net without the router--but the error message persists.
>
> Do I dream or are you asking for our help to fix an issue on the
> windows
> messenger side ?

I'm asking for ideas as to how to make Ekiga-WM communication work, and
possible reasons it works only intermittently for me.

This list is, I think, a fine place to make such a request, because...

1)

As far as I can tell, the problem may be related to an ISP's setup; if
that is the case, then isn't it possible that a similar problem would
occure if Ekiga were being used with that ISP instead of WM? If that is
the case, then the issue is of interest to the Ekiga community.

2)

While it's true that the problem may only be with WM or some other
propietary technology, free software has to interact with and take into
account buggy, incomplete propietary software all the time. Free
software web applications bend over backwards to deal with Internet
Explorer, as does OpenOffice.org to read and write files in closed MS
formats. Even programs that use simple, open protocols such as FTP take
special measures to interoperate with buggy MS products.

If Ekiga and the ekiga.net service aim to allow users to call propietary
SIP phones, then it makes sense that the project at least be aware of
typical problems in interactions with the most common propietary
applications. If this is a WM or a Windows issue, then Ekiga might
consider suggesting solutions, creating a workaround, mentioning the
problem in the documentation, or, at the very least, analysing the
situation with a view to understanding what goes wrong.

> Try to use the win32 port of ekiga, see if you can make it work.

OK, where can I get it?

Correo Yahoo!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/