[GnomeMeeting-list] Ekiga issues with Netmeeting (no video from netmeeting), old GM works

Hello all, I'm new to Ekiga, but am learning quickly.  I have several freshly
loaded Mandriva 2006.0 boxen.  Stock install.  I noticed they came with
GnomeMeeting 1.2.2, and then after checking the website found that
GnomeMeeting changed it's name to Ekiga.  I tried GnomeMeeting 1.2.2 quickly
with my WinXP machine using NetMeeting, and it worked fine.  But then I
installed Ekiga, and spent A LOT of time trying to narrow down my problem.
But after I downgraded back to GnomeMeeting 1.2.2, it magically works fine.
I wanted to document what I did so other users who have this issue in the
future will have a way to find this and hopefully not spend over a day
yanking hair out like I did...!

As I said before, I freshly loaded up several boxes with Mandriva 2006.0,
stock installs.  No updates or anything.  As I recall, I quickly tried the
stock installed GnomeMeeting 1.2.2, and it worked with Netmeeting just fine.
But that was Tuesday, and I ended up doing other things Tuesday afternoon
and then yesterday, Wed.

Today (Thursday) I started at it again.  I found that GnomeMeeting changed
to Ekiga and had new releases (with RPMs, yay!).  So I download all the RPMS
for Mandriva 2006 (ekiga-2.0.1-0.1.20060mdk.i586.rpm et. al.).  I tried to
install all, but I had to upgrade instead of install the libpw*.rpm first.
Then I installed Ekiga and libopal2.  All was well.

I started Ekiga and did all the config.  But when I connected to NetMeeting,
NM could see my video and audio fine, and I could hear from NM, but I
couldn't get any video from NM.  What gives?  I spent nearly all day trying
to figure this out.  I changed every setting I could.  I dropped the
firewalls (ON BOTH Linux & XP).  These two machines are on the same network,
NO firewalls between them.  Arg!

During my testing (off-topic here, but may provide info for others in the
future), I found that I had several issues with bad audio quality
(SLOOOOOOOWWWW sound sometimes too... WEIRD).  I turned off echo
cancellation and silence detection, and that seemed to solve it for good, as
I recall.  Anyway...

I then made sure it wasn't Netmeeting giving me fits, so I had my WinXP
laptop with NM hook into my WinXP desktop with NM (the one with the webcam),
and it worked fine.  Arg!

Finally, I decided to give GM 1.2.2 a try again.  It complained because the
libraries were different, so I did a force upgrade with the libpw RPMs from
the Mandriva RPMs.

I now have GM 1.2.2 working just fine with NM.  But Ekiga won't go... due to
the old libraries?

Anyway, this is my plead for help :).  Do I need to try from source?  When
rummaging around the mailing list (thank you Nabble!) I recall someone
saying there are LOTS of -devel necessary to compile.  Does urpmi make this
any easier?

Hope this helps someone (and hope I get some help too ;) ).

BTW, THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR WORK, Ekiga looks like an amazing piece of
work.  The fact that it does both voice and video is GREAT.  I personally
cannot wait for the Internet to eat the phone network.  In fact, one of the
reasons I'm embarking on this project is to test this stuff out for one of
my employers.  They have an ancient phone system, and I think it would be
amazing if I could replace it entirely with SIP phones (whether it be
software or hardware or a combo of both) and something like an Asterisk
PBX-based server connecting to our POTS lines (for necessary incoming lines
not from the Internet).

Anyway, nuff said. :)

Sent from the GnomeMeeting - General forum at Nabble.com.