[GnomeMeeting-list] Sound problem....

Hello friends,

First of all, I want to congratulate Damien Sandras
and his team for developing amazing Ekiga. I am a
proud user of Ekiga. I want to share my experience
with you all in order to help make Ekiga finer and
better. I do expect help from you guys.

I have Fedora Core 4 on one system and Windows XP on
the other.Both the systems are on the same network.My
aim is to have voice chat between NetMeeting and
Ekiga.

First I tried to do audio chat from NetMeeting(NM)on
WINXP with GenomeMeeting(1.2.1)on FC4.The voice went
well without any problem.

but when I tried Ekiga(2.0.0) on FC4 with NM on WinXP
and tried to have voice chat, I could listen my friend
 who used Ekiga for 1-2 seconds in the starting. After
that i could not hear anything. my friend logged on to
Ekiga could not listen me too as well.

I guess, the problem lies in Alsa sound manager. Voice
chatting was successful on GM because GM uses OSS as
audio manager. But Ekiga is taking only ALSA without
providing any other option.

While using the headset, we tried Audio test using
arecord and aplay as suggested by
Damien.
[root kshemanth ~]#arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000
-f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f
S16_LE -

but when we stored the recorded sound, we could not
play the .wav file.
I got following errors...........

[root kshemanth ~]# arecord -f dat -d 20 -D hw:0,0
test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
[root kshemanth ~]# aplay -f dat test.wav
ALSA lib conf.c:1578:(snd_config_load1)
_toplevel_:51:23:No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:2821:(snd_config_hook_load)
/etc/alsa/cards/aliases.conf may be old or corrupted:
consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:2684:(snd_config_hooks_call) function
snd_config_hook_load returned error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:1959:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type
for PCM default definition (id: default, value:
cards.pcm.default)
aplay: main:508: audio open error: Invalid argument

So please help me to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks and regards..
Archana.