Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Connecting to Netmeeting which is on a home network

Hello all,

Good time to chime in: I have also been unable to get the a similar setting to
work.

I now understand from a recent email on this list (thank you Damien) that
whatever we try, a call from GM to NM will not work, and a call from NM to GM
may work... or not...

First thing:  FAQ entry 2.2. Does it work with Netmeeting?

There should really be a mention of the above NAT problems in the FAQ entry
"2.2. Does it work with Netmeeting?". That would have saved me hours of vain
tweaking and testing. I know that it's better for PR to claim that "Yes,
GnomeMeeting is compliant with all H.323 products, software and hardware
including NetMeeting.", but as NAT is getting more and more common on the
Internet, the current text in that FAQ entry is waaaaay too optimistic and
misleading. I know that is is not GnomeMeeting but Netmeeting that is at
fault here, but in the same way that the FAQ mentions problems with
Netmeeting receiving large images, it should more importantly mention
problems with receiving *anything at all* when Netmeeting is behind NAT. And
maybe the FAQ entry could even suggest Windows alternatives to Netmeeting
(OpenPhone and MyPhone?).

Next thing: Trying to get at least a NM -> GM call to work...

I now have got back some hope of getting it to work since Damien mentioned it
may work, so here is the call for help I never posted until now:

The setup is the following:

GM ----| NAT router |----(internet)----| NAT router |---- NM

I have opened the necessary ports on both routers, and GM reports 'Cone NAT'.
Note also that both NAT routers say they "support NetMeeting". (Oh, and
MS-GSM and Speex codecs are installed in NM).

Symptoms are the following: Indeed, as Damien said, a GM -> NM call never ever
worked. Call is closed right away. For a NM -> GM call, the connection is
established OK, in the GM general history, I can see both video and audio
codecs open for both transmission and reception. But only the GM side gets
audio and video. The NM side gets nothing...

Any suggestion to try and get this to work would be greatly appreciated, as
the Windows alternatives to NetMeeting have not been satisfactory :-/
OpenPhone is too clumbersome to install and use for my end-users (OK, big name
to say Mom and Dad and a few friends ^^), and MyPhone latest binary just
consistently crashes on me every time it sends or receives a call... :.-(

Cheers,