Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] problems with gnomemeeting 1.2.1 and netmeeting on xp

On Mar 30, 2005, at 11:00 AM, gnomemeeting-list-request gnome org wrote:

In any case, I would strongly suggest to use MyPhone (myphone.sf.net)
instead of netmeeting on the windows side. Netmeeting is unconfigurable
behind NAT.

Netmeeting has been dropped and is not even supported by Microsoft any more. There are MANY low-cost and free alternatives to netmeeting on Windows (XP and otherwise) -- we have banned netmeeting for some time from the multi-institution H.323 system that we use, and actively discourage (i.e. completely forbid) its use, as it is famous for causing problems for other clients that are connected.

My favorite suggestion for Windoews users is to get a hardware codec-based unit such as the Polycom ViaVideo (now on revision II) -- but lately there have been users reporting configuraion difficulties with the PVX application that has come out to replace the previous Polycom-supplied ViaVideo software. All of these seem to have gone away with sufficient fiddling, and I did not keep track of the settings needed, but offer the above just as a caveat.

Alan