[GnomeMeeting-list] dsp0 opened but not readable

hi

i just installed gnomemeeting on my intel-debian box and i  get this error, when i use oss - the other option quicknet does not find any devices, alsa is not available, although installed :

Cannot use the audio device

The selected audio device (/dev/dsp0) was successfully opened but it is impossible to read data from this device. Please check your audio setup.

in the faq i read, that another program is blocking my soundcard, but there is no other prog running, as ps shows

the rights for /dev/dsp0 are set correctly, as my user is member of the group audio, which has rw rights

and normally sound works - xmms at least.

any idea, where i can look further ?

thanx
tina