Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] OpenH323 + Camera + H.263 card support

Hi Sharma,

>    Thanks for this information. So if H.263 is as good as MPEG-2 card, so
> does that mean that I can have MPEG-2 based card for the support of H.263.
> Actually my problem is that how to support H.263 codec in GnomemMeeting.
> Please correct me if I am wrong.
> And can anyone please tell me any such card.
> Actually I need to freeze some H/W requirements for this.

I'm not aware that any hardware acceleration is currently working with
the ffmpeg in OpenH323. But this is the wrong list to ask for this.
Maybe Craig can comment on how to use some modern MPEG-2 accelleration
of current VGA cards to achieve this (if there is any solution so far).
Yet from a GM point of view, that's all within OpenH323 and all GM would
do is ask it to send H263 with the video-feed derived from PWLib.
Nothing of the transcoding is done in GnomeMeeting, only the user
frontend to control the libs is within the GnomeMeeting code (and ILS
and stuff - but that's nothing to do with H.263).

> One more thing related to the Camera Query. It means I have to patch
> GnomeMeeting for the support of H.263. But I have patched the OpenH323 with
> the famous ffmpeg library which voxgratia says that it is H.263 codec
> support. So does that mean that I need to separately patch my GnomeMeeting
> with H.263 codec support. If yes then can you please tell me from where can
> I get that patch.

There is no public place where we host it. It gotta be in CVS though and
maybe somenoe from this ML still has a copy of it and will share it with
you. But yes, you're right that you need both support in OpenH323 to do
the actual coding *and* support in GnomeMeeting to ask for this encoding
to actually happen. The GnomeMeeting patch is needed to make the
handshake recognize H263 as valid local codec (for it's not generic and
therefore not "published" alone by patching OpenH323).

> And also from the discussion from you and Mr. Kilian I understood that I can
> have any WebCam/PTZ Cam for my Videoconferencing application which is
> supported by Linux. Is that true or I am making some mistake.

*g* my name is european notation, i.e. Kilian is my first name. ;)
Yes, you're right. The video signal is received by whatever comes
through pwlib and then fed into OpenH323 for recoding. That means
anything that PWLib can display will work (currently V4L, V4L2, AVC and
DC cams). None of the WLAN (802.11b/g/a) cams will work and neither will
JPEG-cams unless they have a V4L or V4L2 interface driver.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian