Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] OpenH323 + Camera + H.263 card support

Hi Sharma,

>    Well can anyone please tell me any H.263 based card  and compatible
> WebCam + PTZ Camera (low cost) which must be supported by GnomeMeeting
> and of course OpenH323. I am not getting any relevant information
> regarding this.
>
> Actually I am confused in the output format of Camera and Input to the
> H.263 supported card.

the camera format is irrelevant to the H263 encoding in GnomeMeeting. As
long as there's no generic video codec hook in OpenH323 there's no way
to get an unpatched GnomeMeeting to speak H.263. For now there's only
the chance of using the old patches from CVS which have been rolled back
until OpenH323 has the described generic hook. You camera will most
likely speak V4L, V4L2 or AVC and be from there converted to the
streaming formats of H.26x, that's why your camera doesn't need to speak
H.263 itself.

> Also somwhere I read that MPEG-4 is same as H.263. So does that mean
> that I can use MPEG-4 card for having H.263 support.

MPEG-4 is a general video description in terms of standards. DivX and
XviD are the non-streaming versions, H.264 is the streaming version of
MPEG-4. H.263 is the streaming version of MPEG-2 and H.261 of MPEG-1.
(please Craig correct me if i'm wrong)

That's about the same discussion as why Ogg Speex (streaming format)
isn't Ogg Vorbis (non-streaming format). They use the same ideas of
codec design, but have different targets in terms of stream loss and
connection reliability vs. compactation and image quality.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian