Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] juste for info : Skype video

> You mean even among
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=VOIP+Phones#SoftPhonesvoiceand
>video you could not find a SIP or H323 (video over IAX .. ? )
>chat+voice+video  solution  ?
> Could we know which of them you tried and compare ou results ?

Of course, you can. Let's see:

1. - Eyeball Networks - Audio/Video/IM/Dialpad. SIP-based Soft Phones
commercial, no demo available

2. Comdial - Audio/Video Soft Phones
commercial, no demo available

3. CPhone H.323
really old and unmaintained - not bad though

4. GnomeMeeting H.323 now migrating to SIP with new version, Zeroconf support
Is here, it works, I have fun with it. I use it for many years - nowadays 1-2h
a day :-)

5. Neos - Jabber client with whiteboard and H.323 video conference
Tested extensively, use it for Windows. Good piece of software. Neos is
Windows only, has H323, no SIP support, It is based upon OpenH323 - so Video
Codec is H261 only, all the usual voice codecs, but STUN is missing as well
as setting port ranges for RTP.  Connects well to Gnomemeeting.

6. Jajah - Universal VoIP client with free videotelephony, chat, text
 messaging, voicemailbox and is compatible to SIP, Skype, Gizmo and IAX/H.323
Loud noise, advertised as the Best, Greatest. Finest - can't live up to its
promises as it requires subscription to Jaja service. (everything said with
Skype) Does not leave a serious and professional impression.

7-. MailVision : MailVision's Commercial SIP Soft Phone, a demo can be
obtained.
Haven't found the demo - perhaps someone else did

8. MCE SIP Phone A SIP softphone for Windows XP
I don't have XP so I couldn't test it. Looks promising though.

9. Microappliances SIP Active-X Client Installable links on Websites
Would require Internet Explorer - Showstopper

10. Microsoft Windows Messenger
Well, I have W2K only - no XP. Couldn't get it to run.

11. Microsoft Portrait
Downloaded it, installed it on W2K, tried to hook up to my Asterisk Server,
failed misserably, browsed some howtos, read that (guessed it) SIP stack is
not compliant with spec. Gave up as I realized that H261 is not an included
Videocodec - so it won't connect to Gnomemeeting.

12. MythPhone SIP
Good idea but requires big chink of installation (the whole Myth Framework).
Haven't succeed to get it to run (well, I didn't invest time to compile
myself)

13. Nortel SIP Multimedia Client
Worksmart Multimedia Client: Provides voice, video, messaging, collaboration
with Worksmart appliances and hosted service.]
works with subscription service only - out of my focus

14. Pulver Communicator Video, Voice, IM, and RSS/Atom reader all-in-one
program
Same - Pulver only

15. SIP COMMUNICATOR Java based
That's a nice piece of software as it promises to do Video VoIP, even with
higher VideoCodec (well, H263 but, OK), I managed to connect it to my hook it
up to my Asterisk (needed to correct some lines in the code) and could issue
an LAN internal video call. I encountered stuttering and interrupted voice in
all codecs and a stamp sitze qcif H263 image. The software is very unreliable
i.e. now it doesn't recognise my camera anymore. Still alpha/beta stage - one
should have a look into the code.

16. Siemens Schweiz AG
need to sign stuff to obtain demo. Didn't want to do this.

17 sMeet multi-platform, H.323 & SIP, MPEG-4, 3GPP, H.263+, AMR, Speex, iLBC,
Looks promising, din't test it yet though

18. TABLETmedia iFon: voice and video for mobile PDAs
Well, don't like Windows CE - I wait for a decent Palm version :-)

19. Xten eyebeam SIP video soft phone
They used to have free versions but withdrew them. I still use a voice only
xten for my sip calls (until Gnomemeeting does the job flawlessly) - couldn't
get hold of the video version. Now  only crippled (provider locked) versions
available, no demo  (High quality piece of software though)

20. OpenWengo: GPL, multi-platform, SIP, voice+video
Not really video - actially one can only transmit images of vapour and hot
air. Looks promising in the long run. (not much going on for video though - I
follow the page for a while)

Though I myself edited some parts of that wiki it still lacks some:

21. OpenPhone - down to earth H323 clients without bells and whistles. Is
based upon can do stun, UDP port ranges, gatekeeper etc.  Nice piece of
software -> easy to install - just one exe and some dlls, one key in the
registry. I could pack it into a self extracting, auto configuring package.
OpenPhone does it's job though it is old and unmaintained. It requires a
Visual C++ compiler to build (which I don't have and won't buy) The image
quality is poor though. For some H323 endpoints which have some strange
firewall/ NAT issues which prevent the usage of Netmeeting OpenPhone is my
only choice - until Gnomemeeting Windows comes out. Connects well to
Gnomemeeting.

22. Netmeeting
Everything said: bad citicen on the Net (random ports, sometimes calls cannot
be established without reasons) but good image quality. Voice is patent
infested G723 or G711 only but there are installable GSM codecs (available
e.g. from Gnomemeeting website) and Speex (didn't work)
I installed Netmeeting with my mother to call her from Gnomemeeting.

23. Konference (berlios) SIP videophone for KDE
Promising but sparely maintained, impossible to build - only one developer.

24. Kphone with VIC
Vic doesn't  like my Philips cam and Asterisk doesn't like kphone. Works
though - but unreliable  (and Green-Screen) Forthermore the user interface is
ugly and hard to understand. (why do I have to restart after entering the SIP
parameters)

No, this wasn't a careless post. I shopped around a lot in the search for a
reliable video VoIP phone which I can send around without licencing issues.

Anything else?
Conrad