Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: GnomeMeeting-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 23

Le jeudi 01 décembre 2005 à 14:20 +1100, Amos Shapira a écrit :
> On 12/1/05, Ariel Pablo Topasso <atopasso gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Damien,
> >
> >     My view is that GM is a great project, and with release 2 it will
> > approach maturity. With SIP-based audio and video, STUN and (maybe one day)
> > ICE/TURN support, and a Win32 release, it will become the de-facto standard
> > tool for voice & video over IP. I am not sure if SIMPLE & Jabber will be
>
> Maybe I miss something basic but is there an easy way to use SIP through NAT and
> firewalls without having to configure the firewall? So far that was
> the biggest stumbling
> block I kept encountering when trying to make use of GM.

Unfortunately, SIP is not really better. You have several solutions:
- either you are using a router with a modern NAT, that supports SIP
(there are more and more). Then it works.
- or you are using a router that doesn't support SIP, you have two
possibilities :
1) either it implements non-symmetric NAT. It is the case of many
hardware routers. In that case, you have to enable STUN in GnomeMeeting.
2) or it implements symmetric-NAT (the Linux case). In that case, it is
difficult to go through NAT, you can :
   - forward ports. That will transform the NAT into a non-symmetric NAT
and you can use STUN.
   - use a public proxy. It adds latency. Skype is using any public user
available and its bandwidth/CPU to proxy your voice.
   - use TURN, but I know no public TURN servers. It would require help
from your provider.
   - use IPv6, not largely deployed yet ;-)
   - use a SIP proxy in front of your company, in your LAN. That is
probably the solution of the future. Companies will have such a proxy,
just like they have a mail server.

Hope it clarifies things.

v_/_    SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net