Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00 : PLEASE ALL READ AND CONTRIBUTE

Le dimanche 10 avril 2005 à 18:43 +0100, Chris Rankin a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> One other thing that I have noticed when using GnomeMeeting: each connection takes a lot of manual
> tuning, especially with regards to video bandwidth. It would be nice if GM could negotiate the
> optimal bandwith to use itself somehow, because whenever I contact someone new, we both end up
> twiddling with our respecting settings pages for far too long before we get both acceptable audio
> and acceptable video.
>
> For example, my 2Mb/s ADSL broadband link can apparently upload at 30 kB/s. Therefore I have set
> my video bandwidth (presumably the video *transmission* bandwidth) to 20 kB/s to allow for
> transmitting the audio stream too. However, the fact that I can upload this amount of data is no
> guarantee that the remote client can handle it. For example, s/he could have a dial-up link or a
> relatively slow machine.
>
> Is there any way of having GM throttle back its video transmission bandwidth if the remote end is
> losing too many packets? Does H.323 allow for Quality of Service information? Ideally, I'd like to
> be able to configure my GM to deliver closer to my ISP's theoretical upload limit of 30 kB/s, but
> have it dynamically reduce it if the remote client can't handle it.

I'm not sure about that. Some people have produced algorithms that can
adapt the video bandwidth regarding the reported packets loss. However,
that is not implemented in GnomeMeeting and I don't think I'll have the
time to do it soon due to the SIP support which also requires much
time :(

> The bottom line is that GM's settings page doesn't always reflect what the local GM client is
> capable of providing. Instead, it tends to reflect what the *remote* client is capable of
> achieving, and this impacts GM's usability.

Can you elaborate on this please?