Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00 : PLEASE ALL READ AND CONTRIBUTE

Hi,

One other thing that I have noticed when using GnomeMeeting: each connection takes a lot of manual
tuning, especially with regards to video bandwidth. It would be nice if GM could negotiate the
optimal bandwith to use itself somehow, because whenever I contact someone new, we both end up
twiddling with our respecting settings pages for far too long before we get both acceptable audio
and acceptable video.

For example, my 2Mb/s ADSL broadband link can apparently upload at 30 kB/s. Therefore I have set
my video bandwidth (presumably the video *transmission* bandwidth) to 20 kB/s to allow for
transmitting the audio stream too. However, the fact that I can upload this amount of data is no
guarantee that the remote client can handle it. For example, s/he could have a dial-up link or a
relatively slow machine.

Is there any way of having GM throttle back its video transmission bandwidth if the remote end is
losing too many packets? Does H.323 allow for Quality of Service information? Ideally, I'd like to
be able to configure my GM to deliver closer to my ISP's theoretical upload limit of 30 kB/s, but
have it dynamically reduce it if the remote client can't handle it.

The bottom line is that GM's settings page doesn't always reflect what the local GM client is
capable of providing. Instead, it tends to reflect what the *remote* client is capable of
achieving, and this impacts GM's usability.

Cheers,
Chris