Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00 : PLEASE ALL READ AND CONTRIBUTE

Hi Chris,

Le jeudi 07 avril 2005 à 22:41 +0100, Chris Rankin a écrit :
>  --- Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:
> > But, probably, I should leave GM as what it is the best at : a
> > softphone. Port it to windows to gain more users, but always as a
> > softphone.
> >
> > We'll loose a part of the chatters, but perhaps not all of them.
>
> Speaking as a "chatter", I will continue to use GM simply because I don't know of any other
> PC-to-PC "videophone" that runs on Linux. And I think it's great. There are a few small issues,
> such as it being non-obvious how to find out which codecs a connection is using. And the

I will add that at a more visible place when redesigning the GUI for
2.00.

> connection statistics display could do with a little better explanation. It would be nice if pwlib
> had more polished support for FireWire cameras too. However, the biggest problem isn't
> GnomeMeeting at all - it's the awfulness of NetMeeting.
>
> No matter how fantastic GM becomes, all that happens is that the gap between GM and NM just gets
> wider and wider because MS stopped developing NM long ago. And so when I try to chat with friends
> who insist on running Windows, my GM must stoop to NM's level. I.e. no H.245, no fast-start and
> more holes in the firewall. Even worse, NM does not seem to support calling URLs such as
> "user ipaddress"  to connect to my GateKeeper. (We've never managed to get it working with gnugk
> anyway.) The result is that I can only call them - they cannot call me unless they explicitly

You are right about this. That is also one of the reasons why I'm moving
to SIP. There are also more free SIP clients on windows than H.323 ones,
and SIP is a "bit" better with NAT than H.323, at least for incoming
calls.

> configure their NM clients to register with my GateKeeper permanently.
>
> This is why we *really* need the Windows version of GM: so that NM can finally be consigned to the
> rubbish bin that it richly deserves.

I'll put that on my top-priority list after 2.00, instead of Jabber
support as most users do not care about Jabber support in GM, even the
chatters :)

Thanks,