[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: ALSA + dmix/dsnoop/asym

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:56:12 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le vendredi 01 avril 2005 à 11:35 -0500, Jesse D. Guardiani a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anyone had success getting gnomemeeting to work
>> with just ALSA + dmix/dsnoop/asym. My laptop has only
>> one sound channel so I have to use dmix & friends if
>> I want to have Gaim, Totem, and gnomemeeting running
>> at the same time. The problem is, it doesn't seem like
>> dmix+dsnoop+asym is full-duplex, even though I was
>> under the impression that asym is supposed to be full-
>> duplex. So, if I start up gnomemeeting and go to:
>>

> Indeed.
>
>>     Edit -> Preferences -> Sound Events
>>
>> And click "play", then I can hear sound, but if I run
>> the config druid then I can't record via my MIC.
>>
>> I have this same problem with linphone too. Does anyone
>> have a solution?
>>

> Have you configured the ALSA DEFAULT device to use DMIX, DSnoop and ASym
> in your .asoundrc, and then configured GnomeMeeting to use the "Default"
> device?

Yes, I do, and did. I haven't changed anything in my config, but strangely
it's working today. I recompiled a few things. Apparently that did the
trick!

Thanks for prompting me to try it again! It's really exciting that we can
now mix sound in-kernel full-duplex and don't need sound daemons anymore!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,