Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Gatekeeper rejecting calls due to excessive BW request

> From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
> Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:00:03 +0200
> Sender: gnomemeeting-list-bounces gnome org
>
> Le vendredi 01 avril 2005 à 08:40 -0800, Kevin Oberman a écrit :
> > I am running GM 1.2.1 on FreeBSD on openh323 1.15.3 and pwlib 1.8.4.
> >
> > Last week our conferencing folks restricted the allowable bandwidth on
> > call and now GM is unable to connect.
> >
> > When I turn on debug I always see a request of "bandWidth =
> > 100000". This is unchanged regardless of whether I reduce the bandwith
> > in preferences (Video Codecs) or even if video transmission is disabled.
> > Is this expected and is there any way to get the system to request a
> > smaller bandwidth?
> >

> Indeed, GnomeMeeting doesn't permit to change the bandwidth requested to
> the gatekeeper, it is using the default value of openh323 which is 100
> 000.
>
> You can change that by adding "SetInitialBandwidth (your_value)" in the
> Init method of the class defined in endpoint.cpp, in GnomeMeeting and
> recompile.
>
> > According to the system administrator, calls of over 768 kbps are
> > rejected. If I am correct that bandwidth is in units of 1000 bps, 100000
> > would mean 100 Mbps, way too much and far more than needed. Windows
> > based clients (usually Polycom ViaVideo) work fine.
>
> It is in units of 100bps, so the default value is 10Mbps which sounds
> reasonable for a LAN.

Damien,

Thanks! That took care of it. I am now able to access the MCU again.

It would be a very good idea to have some have some way to set this
without re-compiling the code. I always have to build from sources since
I am patching for FreeBSD, but those who normally run with RPMs would
probably be rather intimidated by having to compile stuff.

GnomeMeeting is the only H.323 client I have run into that lacks the
ability to set the requested bandwidth. (Of course, other than this,
it's the best one, so I'll keep using it.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)