[GnomeMeeting-list] Problems with Microtelco gatekeeper

Hi all,

This is my first post to this list, so please let me know if I am
posting wrong.

I have been using gnomemeeting exclusively with microtelco's PC-to-Phone
gateway for about the past year.  After struggling to get all of the
firewall stuff working, it basically worked for the first 6 months or
so.  Since then I have been getting increasingly odd problems.  I have
contacted microtelco a few times as the issues do seem to be on their
end, but they have each time asked me to post here.  So that is what I
am finally doing...

There seem to be two different problems that I suspect are connected.
The first one is in connecting to gk.microtelco.com.  I have had
serious problems connecting to the gatekeeper when I make it
gk.microtelco.com.  Doing a DNS lookup on gk.microtelco.com gives me:
> host gk.microtelco.com
gk.microtelco.com has address 63.81.73.99
gk.microtelco.com has address 63.81.73.100

Thus I tried each of the IP addresses in turn.
Strangely enough, since I started investigating this, 63.81.73.100 has
never worked for me at all (and it used to be the first one).

I am getting:
Error while registering with gatekeeper
No gatekeeper corresponding to your options has been found.

When I try to register to 63.81.73.100

My problems with 63.81.73.99 continue to be sporadic.  It works
sometimes, but now I am getting the familiar:
Error while registering with gatekeeper
You are not allowed to register to the gatekeeper. Please check your
login, password and firewall.

Since clearly my login and password are correct (I can check my account
details using this login and password without problem), this leaves only
firewall.  I have manually checked that every port necessary is getting
through my firewall (by logging all packets that come in and sending
packets to the public IP address at each of the ports necessary).  Given
that everything works sometimes, I am not surprised that everything
looks good on my end.

I should mention that when the gatekeeper doesn't let me connect, on
about every 5th attempt to connect to the gatekeeper, it does connects,
but any attempt to call ends in"Security check failed" and/or
"Gatekeeper closed the connection".

The other thing I should mention is that even on the days when it
connects to the gatekeeper just fine, quite often any attempt to call
results in "Gatekeeper closed the connection".  In these cases, it
might work every 20th or 30th attempt.  On other days, the calls go
through just fine.

The only thing I am doing that is slightly non-standard is that I am
using the following ports:
rtp_port_range 5000:5003
tcp_port_range 30000:30003

(note that these are a subset of the default of: 5000:5007 and
30000:30010).

I have set these correctly in "gconf-editor" as per the
FAQ for gnomemeeting.  I need to do this simply because my firewall
can't open enough ports for the default setting (about 28 are needed
and there is no way on my firewall to open port ranges, so I can only
do 20 ports). Is it possible that the microtelco gatekeeper is not
configured correctly to handle this? That would explain the symptoms I
am seeing, since if it were to ignore my settings, my calls would work
fine when it happened to use ports in the range that I require, and
would fail when it tried to use other ports.

I did try other port ranges where I brought some of the ranges down to
just 1 or 2 ports so I could do the full RTP port range, etc., but no
significant difference.  If there is anything else to try, please let me
know.  It would be really nice if I could have a reliable PC-to-Phone
system working again.

I am currently in Thailand and I am using a 256/128Kbps DSL connection.

My system is running an up-to-date patched version of Fedora Core 2 and
I am using the gnomemeeting-1.0.2-2 rpm with the quicknet PCMCIA phone
adaptor on a Toshiba laptop.

Sincerely,
Larry