Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] pc2phone calls without any strange hardware

Le jeudi 09 septembre 2004 à 18:06 +0200, Antonello Lobianco a écrit :
> Hello.. I'm a gnomemeeting user.. ..really a "very"
> user, as my girl live in an other country.
>
> I'm just wandering why you implemented a solution that
> require to buy a strange harware to make pc2phone
> calls.. how many paople will do that?? Look skype.. u
> have just to make some clicks, give valuabe money from
> yr credit card and that's all, u are ok!

The reason is that no provider permit to do PC-To-Phone calls using
"free" codecs. They all require the patented G.723.1 codec that we can
not afford in free software. That codec is present in Quicknet hardware.

We are currently looking and testing new providers that accept "free"
codecs to be used for calls.

> I feel little suspicious to use private, proprietary
> apps.. expecially when they implement proprietary
> protocols..

You are right about this.

> I think that the possibility to make pc2phone calls
> using open standards like the ones used in
> gnomemeeting would both make benefit the project of
> some important resources and keep away the ghosts of
> new monopolly.

You are right again.