Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Website updated

There are many reports like this (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000132.html)
that seem to demonstrate that Skype has much the same problems with
firewalls causing one-way audio as networks based on SIP or H.323.

I've also heard several reports that audio in Skype is much clearer than
a normal phone call, which seems to point to them using a "wide-band"
codec that operates at a sample rate higher than 8khz. That would be
simple enough to do in either H.323 or SIP using a non-standard codec -
in fact I've thought about doing it several times but never had the time.

I'd be interested in seeing evidence that they are using iLBC

   Craig

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:25:38 +0200
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> wrote:

> We are again coding hard on the future 1.2 release of GnomeMeeting.
> There will be more internal changes than user-visible changes, but we
> are paving the way for SIP.
>
> People are often asking me what I think of Skype. What I think is pretty
> clear...
>
> The main problem is not that the program is not Open Source, the problem
> is that Skype is locking users into a proprietary protocol. Would you
> imagine the Internet with a proprietary equivalent to the HTTP protocol
> that only a given client could browse? That's what happens with Skype.
> Skype also has a great marketing force, some people even think that
> Skype has a superior audio quality. How could Skype have a superior
> quality when it is using the same codec (iLBC) than software like
> GnomeMeeting while introducing more latency by making calls go through a
> 3rd party? The only real advantage of Skype is that it is easily going
> through any type of NAT, using a 3rd user to proxy the call. But the day
> when the Linux kernel NAT will natively support H.323 or SIP, Skype will
> have lost its only advantage... Skype is hype...

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog