Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] creative voip blaster

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 11:35 +0200, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> Le jeu 02/09/2004 �9:53, Damien Sandras a �it :
> > I know at least one user who was using a Voip Blaster with GnomeMeeting,
> > at least a long time ago.
>
> That was me :-)
> I used the VoIP Blaster back in 2002, with both ohphone and
> GnomeMeeting. The driver is still present at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster. Don't use the one at
> http://voipblaster.sourceforge.net.
>
> > There exists somewhere a driver for the VoIP Blaster that permits to
> > emulate a Quicknet card, it should work with GnomeMeeting.
>
> At least it used to on 2.4 kernels. I didn't try it since I switched to
> 2.6, but I'll try to have a look when I get some time.

If I recall correctly, the driver fails for 2.6 and also later 2.4
kernels.

I have been meaning to have another go but have not had the time.

> > The person I'm talking about is in CC, so perhaps he can give you some
> > help.
>
> I'll be glad to do so. Fell free to mail me off-list (I'm just
> subscribed to the ml's digest and I must admit I don't read it quite
> often :-() if you have any trouble.
>
> IIRC, Malcolm Caldwell (who shows up sometimes on the GM-dev ml) used to
> work on this driver, so he might be helpful (if I'm not mistaken :-))

I did a bit hacking on the driver at one stage - (mostly I worked out a
bug that stopped it working with openh323).

The biggest problem with this device is it only does g723.1.  This means
that when you select to use this device you cannot communicate with
other netmeeting users and most gnomemeeting users.  (You CAN
communicate with gnomemeeting users who either have a voipblaster or a
quicknet card)

There are also a few bugs/issues with the driver: it would sometimes
randomly fail.