Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Connection attempt rejected without apparent reason

Hi Marcus,

Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2004, 10:29 -0500 schrieb Marcus Thiesen:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 06:16, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > ok, let's start with this one. Unless your router does native H323-NAT,
> > there's few point in *ONLY* forwarding 1720 to netmeeting. So if that
> > router doesn't do H323-connection tracking over NAT, that's already a
> > point which will not work.
>
> So my assumption is right that all the other routers do some magic I don't see
> and I don't know off to make H.323 through them work?

to put this a bit more straight:
whoever does *ONLY* forward TCP port 1720 will need an H323-conntrack
NAT in the router or H323 (i.e. any GnomeMeeting connection) attempt
across this router will not work but for the initial signalling.

> > Nevertheless you should be easily able to at least get the remote
> > NetMeeting to display you are calling or even this forward ain't
> > working. The entire call signalling is achieved thru 1720/tcp and so if
> > there's no "Marcus Theisen is calling [ Pick Up ] [ Reject ]" on the
> > remote end, even this port forwarding is broken.
>

> That's the point, the remote site doesn't react whatsoever, but I can see that
> they are talking with each other, in the debug out as well as in the dump...
> that is what really puzzels me. Other forwards work right, e.g. I can do VNC
> to the remote machine, etc..

VNC is TCP.. so there's no problem across NAT.. But for UDP you need to
put each and every port that's involved into the forward list. The fact
that you do receive them just ok is due to the nature that your NAT is
working seamlessly. Sending from behind a NAT doesn't need any
intelligence in the router which is masquerading from internal to
external network. But for the receiving part there needs to be some
"magic" involved, or it'll have no idea where to send the packets.

Very unfortunatelly the allowed range for NetMeeting is all UDP ports
from 1024 up to 65535. That's why we recommend MyPhone or OpenPhone
which do have a much smaller range which can be set in their prefs.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian