Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] netmeeting vs gnomeeting: sound screwed up?

Le lun, 17/05/2004 à 14:39 +0200, Uwe Brauer a écrit :
> On 17 May 2004, dsandras seconix com wrote:
>
> > Netmeeting is using better codecs, encumbered by patents, and
> > requiring less bandwidth.
> >
> > So make sure you both executed the Configuration Assistant and chose
> > the right connection type so that you use optimal codecs.
>
> We both used
> h323:ip number
>
> Is this what you mean.?

Not really.

go in the "Edit" menu and choose "Configuration Assistant", then execute
it, there is a page where you specify your connection type.

> I checked the configuration settings, the default values look
> reasonable to me.
> I looked up the audio codec settingh
>
> The only thing I cannot activate is
> the C.732,1 which is listed as excellent quality.

You need a quicknet card for that codec.

> > Bad sound quality is generally caused by the upload of a too high
> > quality video that floods your bandwidth.
>    I did not have a video only the recipient had one.
> >>

> > www.linux-usb.org is perhaps what you are looking for.
> Thanks
>

> BTW would a updgrade to 1.0.x help

1.0.x brings a new audio codec : iLBC
0.98.5 was using SpeexNarrow-8k as default. iLBC is slightly better, but
you should have a similar quality with 0.98.5.

My guess is that your video quality settings/bandwidth exceeds your
upload.