[GnomeMeeting-list] netmeeting vs gnomeeting: sound screwed up?

Hello

On my IBM R40 (e) Laptop, Knoppix 3.3 with KDE. 3.1.5 installed I run
gnomemeeting 0.98.5.

I tried to connect to someone in the states who approximately is using
the  same  equipment and  the same   gnomeeting  version. Moreover the
university internet connection is reasonable fast.

However, during  the meeting, the sound  was just  terrible: almost no
word could be distinguished clearly. So I suspected the connection was
the culprit.

To my big surprise when we both changed to Windows XP and used
netmeeting the connection worked fine, the sound was reasonable even
the video worked (only one way.)

Two things come into my mind:

		-  gnomemeeting is very inferior to netmeeting (hard to believe)

		-  the  kmixer configuration      is  screwed  up and     some
		   interferences occur,   if  so, what   would be  the correct
		   kmixer configuration,  just   have   the micro   open   and
		   everything else closed.

And finally a little off topic question, could somebody please point
me out to list of linux compatible webcam's, comparable to the PCMCIA
compatible list.? Google search did not present anything useful.

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer