Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Major ILS change

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:07:58 +0100
Damien Sandras <damien sandras it-optics com> wrote:

> That is not as easy as it seems. The current ILS server rewrites the IP
> address in that case to the router IP. Now, imagine that the person is
> behind a router, with a private IP, and that the router is H.323-aware.
> IP translation is disabled. How could the user tell to the ILS his
> correct IP? We could add an option, but activating it won't ensure that
> the user has registered with a correct IP.

My guess is that 90% (at least) of the people who are registering with
private IP addreses are NOT behind H.323 aware routers - they are just
users who have no idea about NAT. But I see your point.

How about this? If the signalling address in the ILS request and the
address from which ILS request originates are both the same, or are BOTH
public, then allow the specified port to be registered in for the ILS.

But, if the signalling address in the ILS request and the address from
which ILS request originates are NOT the same, and the call signalling
address is PRIVATE, then do the port check to the port specified in the
ILS check. This will (probably) catch out users who are behind a
firewall but do not have a H.323 aware endpoint.

I think that forcing ILS users to receive calls on port 1720 is a bad
idea, as this will prevent more than one person behind the same NAT
firewall from logging to the ILS. I regularly use different ports to
allow running multiple H.323 endpoints on the same machine, and it is
not necessary to use 1720 if you are registered with a GK.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 ICQ: #86852844          MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 GnuPG Public Key:  http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt
 Blog:              http://www.southeren.com/blog/