Re: Gatekeeper and ILS-successor (was: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] no ringing tone with phonejack pci and headset)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:24:40 +0200
Kilian Krause <kk verfaction de> wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> > There is no ntion of state, however you can use any LDAP attribute you
> > want for the rest (comment, location, ...)
>
> how about padding the comment field with a "O;" for online, "A;" for
> away and "N;" for N/A or busy as in a call? That way we don't break
> field specs, but we have an internal idea of what the user is doing.

I think that is a really bad idea.

Gatekeepers/registrars do presence, but do not hold directories

LDAP is a directory, but do not do presence.

If you want LDAP+presence, then you may as well stay with ILS because
that is at least a "de-facto" standard

If you want a combined presence + directory system, then think about
using something like IMPP (Jabber) in combination with a gatekeeper, as
that is what the SIP people are moving towards.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren, craigs postincrement com http://www.postincrement.com
 Post Increment - Software, Consulting and Services
 Co-founder of the only open source H.323 project
 Phone: +61 2 43654666   Fax: +61 2 43673140   Mobile: +61 417 231046
 MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com      ICQ: #86852844
 Jabber: CraigS jabber voxgratia org   Blog: http://www.southeren.com/blog
 PGP :http://www.postincrement.com/pgp.txt