[GnomeMeeting-list] Jaba the hut sound using Gnomemeeting

Hello all,
I've got a small problem using Gnomemeeting that I just can't seem to
resolve. I've tried looking at the online FAQ, but there were no answers
there.

I'm trying to communicate with a friend, both of us using Gnomemeeting.
We connect, but our voices sound completely awful, like Jabba the hut
through a megaphone with weak batteries. We can tell there's someone on
the other end, but it's completely unintelligable.

We've both got kernel 2.6.1 (Gentoo). We're both connected directly to
the net, and our firewalls have the correct TCP and UDP ports opened up.
We don't have 5010-5013 open, but we're not connecting to a gatekeeper,
so that doesn't matter. We both are using OSS (ALSA gave me microphone
problems using Gnomemeeting) and we're both running KDE (does that make
a difference? I wouldn't think so). We're both on broadband connections,
so it shouldn't be a bandwidth problems. When running the configuration
druid, there's no problem with the full-duplex setup and the voices
coming out sounds clear (ie, the microphones are working and are being
recorded properly).

During a call, sometimes the packet loss gets up to 95%, sometimes it
remains at 1-2%, but in every case the sound is awful.

I'm at wit's end with this, and it further aggrevates me that everyone
else seems to be running Gnomemeeting perfectly. Can anyone give any
suggestions? Thanks!
--
Brian Kreulen

"We shall not cease from exploration